Dear Members and Friends,
It is with faith, hope and determination that we reopen our church to in-person services so that we can once again share the joy of being with each other to worship God in unity, as our nation and communities live through the Covid-19 era. There are three ways you can Worship with us: 8:30 a.m. Outdoor Service in Friendship Park, 10:30 a.m. Limited In-Person Worship in the Sanctuary or via our YouTube Channel (firstpresmanhattan) at 10:30 a.m.
Outdoor Friendship Park Worship Service at 8:30 a.m.
In keeping with the desire for members to worship together, First Presbyterian is planning on holding its first ever Drive-In morning service on Sunday the 30th of August. This is planned to be an ongoing event.
• Why a drive-in service? We believe that many of our congregation desire to meet to worship and fellowship with one another, especially during this challenging time.
• What is a Drive-in Service? The service is designed to offer a worship service to people that might not be physically able, or might not be comfortable coming into the Sanctuary. You can worship from the comfort of your vehicle.
• Who can attend the Drive-in service? The service is designed for everyone. All are welcome in the sight of God and the Church. Those who don’t wish to sit in close proximity to others while the CV-19 pandemic continues are especially welcome.
• What can we expect? The leadership of the Church has had donated an FM radio transmitting station and a soundboard allowing up to four microphones to be used to broadcast to a three-square block area around First Presbyterian’s grounds. The service will be broadcast on FM frequency 91 MHz on the FM dial of your radio. Currently, not counting the Handicap Parking spaces, there is room for 130 vehicles to park on our property while maintaining social distancing. People can bring lawn chairs to sit in the Friendship Park (weather permitting) but must maintain social distancing requirements that are in effect the day of the service. You will be asked to enter the parking area off 8th street by Friendship Park and can proceed to any open parking space.
Traditional Worship Service at 10:30 a.m. in the Sanctuary
If you would like to attend the 10:30 a.m. Limited In-Person Worship service, we ask you to email (email@example.com) or call the church office at (785) 537-0518 to sign up by Friday at NOON (state the number in your party), and we will accept the first 50 worshippers on a first-come basis.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO ATTEND
The main criteria for attending as a congregant to protect our people are:
Be in good health with no symptoms of illness (applies to all people)
o No known contact with Covid-infected people
o No travel within last two weeks in areas identified by the CDC as hot spots
o Temperature below 100.4oF
Maintain social distancing of 6’ minimum. EXCEPTION: Families may stay close together.
Be able to wear a mask the whole time inside the church. EXCEPTION: Not required for children under age 2.
Practice good hygiene. Use provided sanitizer; dispose of paper waste in provided containers.
Speakers and musicians may remove masks and do not require shields while more than 12’ away from the
CHURCH AREAS OPEN TO PEOPLE DURING ATTENDANCE
The following areas of the facility will be open to attendees. All other areas will be off limits to control
pedestrian traffic and minimize the sanitization effort.
West side of the SE Entrance
Hallways to Sanctuary
Two restrooms on the main floor
Sanctuary main floor and Balcony
USHERS WILL …
Wear latex gloves
Open doors for attendees
Push the elevator button
Guide attendees to seating
Remind attendees of requirements as needed
- From the parking lot, make sure to wear mask, and proceed to the check-in table located under the Youth Center entrance canopy.
- At check-in, allow the attendant to take your name and take your temperature. The attendant will give you a mask if you forget to bring your own.
- While maintaining social distancing as marked on the sidewalk, proceed to the SE entrance.
- Enter the church and proceed to the Narthex.
- Proceed to the available pews and use the 6’ distancing markers to help you select your seat. Selected pews will be roped off to promote distancing. Ushers will answer your questions and guide you.
- Wear your mask during the entire time you are in the church.
- At the end of the service, proceed through the Narthex.
- As you leave please drop off your offering in the no-touch collection box provided there.
- Exit through the same door you entered, and proceed to the parking lot, where, while still wearing masks, you are free to converse with fellow attendees.
Watching services at home on YouTube™
If you are unable to attend in person, you may continue to worship at home by watching the service on YouTube™.
The Broadcast Team has been working on improved technology to make the worship experience as meaningful as possible. Session has approved a plan to acquire and install new state-of-the-art live-streaming equipment to
provide high-quality audio/visual programming
This includes establishment of a $30,000 Broadcast Equipment Capital Fund to enable us to acquire this new equipment over 3 phases within the next several months with continually improving performance enhancements.
Please prayerfully consider donating to this fund to help make it possible to continue to reach out to our congregants who are unable to attend worship in person and so that we can remain strongly united an connected as a congregation.
If you have questions feel free to call the church office at 785-537-0518 or any of our church leaders if you have any questions.
We praise God for our cherished freedom to worship, and we thank you for your steadfast support during this most challenging time in the life of our church.
“For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8: 38-39)
Yours in Christ,
Session and Worship Committee